Why cyber threat is a cause of worry for countries?
What does Cyberattack Threat mean?
A cyberattack threat is any offensive maneuver that targets computer information systems, infrastructures, computer networks, or personal computer devices. This refers to a malicious act that seeks to damage the data, tries to steal data, or it can even disrupt digital life in general. Cyber threats include data breaches, computer viruses, Denial of Service (DoS) attacks, etc. Cyber attackers are said to be online robbers.
Also, it is said that cyber threat is the possibility of a successful cyberattack that aims to gain unauthorized access, disrupt, damage, or steal information, intellectual property, computer network, or any other form of sensitive data. It can either come from within an organization by trusted users or from any remote locations by unknown parties.
Cyberattacks and their countermeasures
1) Password phishing attacks: The first primary type of cyber attack is “Password phishing attack.” Fortunately, anti-spam vendors and services have made great strides, so most of us have reasonably clean inboxes.
An effective phishing email is a corrupted work of art. Everything looks great, and it even warns the reader not to fall for fraudulent emails. But the only sensible thing is that it gives away the rogue link asking for confidential information.
Countermeasure: The primary countermeasure to password phishing attacks is to have safe logins. This means two-factor authentication, biometrics, and other authentication methods like a phone call or SMS message.
If anyone is stuck with a simple login name or any password combinations for one or more systems, then use anti-phishing products or services, as it can decrease the risk through better end-user education.
2. Unpatched software: Now coming to more socially engineered malware and phishing software with some unpatched vulnerabilities. The most commonly encountered and exploited programs are browser add-in programs like Adobe Reader and other programs to make surfing the web more accessible. It is going on this way for many years now. But strangely, not a single company has ever had perfectly patched software.
Countermeasure: Make sure that patching is perfect, as better patching is a great way to decrease the risk. Also, ensure that 100 percent patched on the programs “most likely to be exploited” versus “trying unsuccessfully to be fully patched on all software programs.”
3. Social media threats: Today is the world of social media, and our online world is a social world led by Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, Whatsapp, or their country-popular counterparts. These threats usually arrive as a rogue friend or application install request. Corporate hackers love exploiting the corporate social media accounts for the embarrassment factor to obtain the passwords shared between the social media site and that of the corporate network. Many of today’s worst hacks have been started as simple social media hacking only.
Countermeasure: For social media threats, synergizing End-user education is a must. Make sure not to share corporate passwords with any other foreign website. Also, make sure that all the social media users know how to report a hijacked social media account.
Recent Massive Cyber-Attack: China hacks groups in Israel, Iran, Saudi Arabia
Recently, China hacked dozens of Israeli public and private sector groups and some groups in Iran, Saudi Arabia, and other countries for information on technology and business advances.
Long term spying strategy
The international cybersecurity company FireEye announced that a massive cyberattack appears to be part of a long-term spying strategy in technology and business competition and advancement rather than a desire to harm any target countries or businesses.
According to FireEye reports, Beijing does not discriminate along any of the fault lines in the region by using its cyber tools to spy on a wide array of Middle Eastern countries while all are doing business with China.
Steal sensitive business information
The goal seems to have been to gain intelligence into achieving better negotiation outcomes in terms of pricing by viewing internal email discussions and assessments and appropriate certain key technological developments where possible. Its maximum impact cannot be felt currently. But estimates are that some of the public and private sector Israeli entities started to repel against the attacks once the SharePoint vulnerability was announced in 2019. Still, Chinese spying in Israel continued deep into 2020.
National Cyber Security Strategy 2020:
To improve cyber awareness and cybersecurity through more stringent audits. Impanelled cyber auditors will look more carefully at the security features of organizations than are legally necessary now.
Cyber Warfare offensives:
· The United States is just one of many countries that have invested significant amounts of money in developing not just defenses against attack, but the ability to mount damaging cyber warfare offensives.
· The countries believed to have the most developed cyber warfare capabilities are the United States, China, Russia, Israel, and the United Kingdom.
· There would be a table-top cyber crisis management system that would exercise regularly to reinforce the idea that the cyberattacks can occur periodically during web surfing.
· It calls for an index of cyber preparedness and attendant monitoring of the performance.
· A separate budget for cybersecurity is suggested to synergise the role and functions of various agencies with the requisite domain knowledge.
Preparations to combat with it
Cyber attackers are called to be online robbers. Government is doing a great job to arrest and make strict rules to eliminate such crimes in India but we too, as a citizen have a responsibility to be aware of such threats and keep our private information secure.